PhD Student Position U. Calgary
The Stone Tools, Diet and Sociality research group located at the University of Calgary has an opening at the project for a new PhD student.
- Institution: University of Calgary
- Department: Anthropology and Archaeology
- Location: 2500 University Dr NW, Calgary, AB T2N 1N4
- Duration: 4 years
- Start Date: January 2019
- Hours: 40/week
- Contract Type: SSHRC Partnership Grant: “Olduvai Gorge: Stone Tools, Diet, and Sociality”
- Research Topic: Plio-Pleistocene Fauna from East Africa
- Supervisors: Dr. Julio Mercader Florin
- Doctoral student able to participate in the extraction, description, taxonomic identification and taphonomic analysis of Pleistocene East African bone materials from Olduvai Gorge (Tanzania)
- Must hold a Master’s degree in either Archaeology, Paleontology, Biology or a related field prior to date of hire
- Excellent knowledge of related areas through reading of current literature, online database searching, and attendance of seminars and conferences.
- Motivated and organized self-starter, one who can work with minimum supervision
- An ability to work supportively in a laboratory environment.
- Smooth laboratory operation by assuming a share of group responsibilities, which includes keeping detailed laboratory records and reporting.
- An ability to solve problems and push methodological boundaries.
- Excellent communication skills in English both written and verbal.
- Please note that successful candidates will be subject to standard University of Calgary Faculty of Graduate Studies and departmental selection procedures. More information can be found here
- The University of Calgary is an equal opportunity institution, candidates will be chosen who are the best fit regardless of age, disability, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation
- Full funding for the position will be provided
- Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Successful candidates may be required to provide 3 references to complete selection process
- Deadline for submissions is November 15th, 2018